Inspired

     So there I was at our local public library, and as I was checking out some children's books for the girls, I spotted an interesting cookbook on the shelf staring back at me as it was on display. I grabbed it..."Baby & Toddler On The Go--Fresh, homemade foods to take out and about" by Kim Laidlaw. 
   Couldn't wait to open it! When I got home, I immediately was inspired as I flipped through the pages of cute photography with such creative little recipes. I just had a conversation with a sorority sister of mine on how to hide veggies inside of comfort foods kids know all too well. These recipes do that BUT with a twist...they're bundled up in a cute little ball using a mini muffin pan! I'm always looking for ways to add more whole grains and veggies to their diets.
   You see...my son is 6 and is in Kindergarten...we have an hour commute in the morning to get him to school. There is no time to sit down at the table in the mornings for a good balanced meal. I need something portable for him. Homemade breakfast burritos, whole wheat waffles and Nutrigrain bars get old after awhile. (although the occasional Poptart has made an appearance some mornings)
   And don't get me started on lunch, I have about 4 different types of sandwich type meals on rotation in his lunchbox, and he can't wait to buy his lunch on Fridays! Needless to say, I needed this cookbook right about now. My next post will be a few of the recipes from this book I tried out with some minor adjustments. By the way, I have a 6 yr old, almost 5 yr old and an 18 month old. These recipes are good for toddler to an adult! Great party hors d'oeuvres too. 
   There is a section for baby food with all sorts of fruit and veggie purees. ( Gosh that time just flew by...this time last year she was trying her first bite of baby food I made with my Baby Bullet...that was fun!) Well I hope you and your little ones enjoy these next few recipes as much as we did!

No comments:

Post a Comment