week 3-- Mexico

June 5, 2013

What's the one thing we have in common with our neighbor? Food. We gotta eat. Why not make it exciting. Cook with passion and passionately eat. Share your recipes. Have fun in the kitchen. Don't make it a chore. Who wants to eat boring food?

It was Simone's turn to pick a country out of the bowl...Mexico! YAY! The kids immediately said "Nachos"...mommy then said "No way Jose". This project is all about eating something they have never tried before. As for mommy, making something I've never made before. 

Today, we all 3 went to the market to grab ingredients for 2 of our dishes this week. I decided to make Picadillo first. A dish I'm very familiar with. Growing up I got so tired of eating it that I haven't had it in over 10 years. I've never attempted to make it on my own my own way. Here's the recipe:

Picadillo
1 lb ground chuck
1 small onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 tsp garlic, minced
1 TBSP olive oil
1 russet potato, diced
1 can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup frozen corn
2 TBSP cilantro
1 TBSP cumin
2 Bay leaves
salt & pepper
1 jalapeno (optional)

I prefer to use a Dutch oven for this. Start with olive oil in the pot and brown the meat. Toss in all the veggies. Add all the seasoning and garlic. (Quick tip: I boiled the potatoes first in a separate pan since they take the longest to get tender, but I don't cook them all the way through. Then drain and add to the pot along with all the other ingredients)
Serve over rice.


No comments:

Post a Comment