Mexico-- Carnitas

June 7, 2013

There's nothing better than slow cooked meat. Tonight I decided to make one of my favorite tacos...CARNITAS! I will say there is not much to it. The kids didn't help on this one. The slow cooker did all the work. Here's the recipe:
Carnitas
3 lbs      Pork shoulder
1/2 cup  orange juice
1 TBSP  cumin
2           bay leaf
1 TBSP  garlic, minced
3 TBSP  chopped cilantro
2            limes
salt & pepper

Rub meat with cumin, garlic, salt and pepper. Place in slow cooker. Pour oj over meat. Low heat for 6 hours. Once meat is done and very tender, place in big skillet with 1 tbsp canola oil to fry up. Once meat starts to brown, start to shred. Make sure there are some nice crispy pieces of meat mixed in there. That's the best! Add handful of cilantro, squeeze lime juice and sprinkle a bit more salt. 

Please excuse the flour tortillas...I prefer white corn...but I'm a mom on a budget, so I have to buy just one big pack. My kids love flour tortillas.






No comments:

Post a Comment